Tuesday, August 4, 2009

To Reform or Not to Reform...

that should NOT be the question. But with the insurance industry lobby spending $1.4 million per day to say "it ain't broke, don't fix it", some people (most notable Republicans and moderate Democrats and their less than informed constituents) seem to be confused.

Once again, Ezra Klein talks sense and gets my panties out of a bunch. I forget to ignore the crazy 24-hour news cycle (isn't that partly why I got rid of cable?) and relax. This is going to take a while - and the WH hasn't really said what they're for yet. The Prez is forcing the Congress to...shock!...do their job and write up legislation to be debated. I would be happier if they would've done it before the recess - and if Reid would've grown a pair and threatened the Dem Senators with no vaca, but I've been disappointed before (especially with him). Wouldn't you have liked to be a fly on the wall when Rahm talked to the Blue Dogs?

F-ing Blue Dogs! Surprise - once again, or should I say still, it's all about money.

Meanwhile, the White House is trying to stay on offense, offering up a new list of consumer protections. How do people that are uninsured or underinsured not understand that the insurance companies, et al and the congressmen they "own" don't have their best interests or health in mind - only profits?

And now that the legislators are home on break holding town hall meetings, a large group of orgnaized conservatives are disrupting them, so no one gets to ask or answer anything of substance. Can you say astroturf?

I guess I count myself lucky. My representatives are like-minded (though I still send them emails asking them to vote for it). Living for ten years without insurance makes this one hit close to home - not to mention it is THE major legislation that O needs to get passed in his first year. Seriously people, we've been trying to pass healthcare reform forever! Chop, chop!

No comments: