Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Patriotic

I spent my 4th of July in the country. And by country, I mean Homewood, Illinois - a small, south side suburb of Chicago. I think of it as a country retreat since my friends' house literally backs on to a forest preserve. Into the woods...

Our holiday festivities included a trip up the street to watch the "Home Sweet Homewood" Fourth of July Day Parade! What a hoot! Kids, candy, vintage cars, cheerleaders, the junior hockey league on rollerblades (tossing out Tootsie Rolls!) and every civil servant from miles around. The police/firetruck/ambulance horn display was -- I'm certain -- the longest and loudest horn-tooting event...EVER! My ears are still ringing.

My favorite part, however, was the peaceful protestors (although the tootsie roll-throwin' hockey boys came in a close second). Just a group a people carrying signs and wearing t-shirts saying what they believe. Some were against the war -- "No Oil for $" -- and some just simply said "peace". I was standing on the curb, wearing my Obama peace tee with drink in hand alternatively clapping for them and giving them the peace sign. Needless to say, my shirt was a big hit with this group.

One man (I want to believe an ex-hippy) came over to me and said, "We have to keep his feet to the fire." I asked him if he'd read about the group on Obama's website that was protesting his FISA vote. He nodded and I said that I was one of them. "That's what I'm talking about," he said. And I gave him a terrorist fist jab. Sweet.

So, in the now famous words of Michelle Obama..."for the first time in my adult life, I'm really proud of my country".

Can I have a hot dog, please?

No comments: