Friday, December 12, 2008

Making News

These were four of the top headlines this morning on Google News:

"Obama Worked To Distance Himself from Blagojevich Early On" - Washington Post

"Man Behind Curtain is Wizard of Rod, Rahm" - Chicago Tribune

"Blagojevich Chief of Staff Resigns" - CBS2Chicago

"Tribune Subpoenaed in Blagojevich Probe" = CBS2Chicago

There is a strange double standard with corruption in Chicago politics. Some (myself included) seems to be proud of the shadiness - like some sort of badge of honor. Maybe it's left over from the drama of Al Capone's days...and the Daley's. Chicago does have a history.

I've worked in state politics (for a former IL Gov that did NOT get indicted for anything...although there was a rumor he was gay and his wife went to rehab) and I've seen/heard things. In fact I got my job through a favor from a friend that worked in the Patronage Office (that didn't officially exist). "Don't ask questions - do what you are told." Fair enough. In those days I still thought the good being done outweighed the way it came about. Maybe I still do...(although my long political absence and re-emergence in another party probably indicates otherwise).

The thing that is so shocking about this particular scandal is the sheer arrogance and stupidity involved. And wondering "who's next?" Who else is going down...Rahm? The Mayor? Jackson Jr? Sam Zell?

I hope Obama uses this as an example and an opportunity to bust out his reformer instincts and clean some shit up.

No comments: