Thursday, March 13, 2008

you know you do it too --

text speak.

Somewhere along the way, we've become either too busy, too lazy, too A.D.D. or to cool to physically type out the words we want to convey. How/when did this happen? As a lover of words with an English degree (yes, Shakespeare my friends, is doing flips in his grave), I find it apalling that this lackadaisical attitude has taken over...me.

It seems I can't help myself. I reluctantly added text messaging to my cell package because all of my friends kept texting instead of calling. Wtf? After figuring out how to read said messages, I then was faced with how to decipher them. What were they saying? For a while, I just ignored whatever it was that I didn't get, but then I started to get curious. What was this strange hybrid of conversation and how is it that I didn't know it?

I completely blame my extended period of unemployment. Resigned to long walks by the lake and bad daytime tv, I was missing out on what was up in cyber-text-trendy land. I was reluctant to join what I was sure was a bad fad, but now I find myself happily(?) SMS-ing every day. How r u? What r u do n 2nite? On bus. It really is very functional.

Most used:
LOL
OMG
BTW
WTF
LMAO
POTUS
and, my personal fav, STFU!

For those of you that don't want to appear stupid and ask someone (uh, what does that mean? - like I do about every other day), there is help. Yes, there is actually a website that will translate the texty-goobledegook for you.

www.transl8it.com.

Now who's lazy?

As Tigger would say, TTFN!

No comments: