Wednesday, February 20, 2008

pet peeve

Ok, I have way too many to include in this blog, but this pet peeve is the most prevalent (and annoying) in my daily life.

At least once a day while perusing the web, I come across this grammatical atrocity. The misuse of then - as opposed to the correct use of than. Then instead of than...it drives me crazy. It happens way too often for it to just be written off as a typo, which leads me to believe that most of mainstream America thinks the two words are interchangeable.

Then, an adverb directly related to the concept of time (ie. at that time; immediately or soon after; at the same time, etc.) - or - than, a conjunction used as a comparative to denote a difference?

Take a second to decide which you really mean and choose accordingly. I'd really appreciate it.

No comments: