Friday, November 2, 2007

November is here!

It's November. I love fall -- the leaves are changing, it's football, sweater and chili weather. So far it has been unseasonably warm, but it's starting to get chilly. The cold is coming.

This is a great time of year -- just before the holidays. I love Thanksgiving. It evokes familial images of large gatherings, feasts and games (think Norman Rockwell at his best). I always think of a snowy New England home, a fire glowing, a rowdy game of football in the side yard and sledding. I still get excited thinking of that kind of holiday even though mine typically involves a quiet dinner with my parents -- and now, my dog.

Truthfully, I could be almost anywhere and Thanksgiving would still be my favorite holiday. Reminiscing, giving thanks, being with friends and family, watching the parade...that's all good, but really it's all about the food. Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, sweet potato casserole, (any kind of casserole!), crescent rolls ( a tradition at my house) and, best of all, pumpkin pie.

I am a self-described pumpkin freak. I love pretty much anything that has pumpkin in it -- as long as there are absolutely NO RAISINS. They are evil. However, pumpkin bread, pumpkin muffins, pumpkin coffee, pumpkin fudge, pumpkin ice cream, pumpkin cheesecake, pumpkin seeds, pumpkin soup, pumpkin ravioli...ok, you get the idea and I'm starting to sound like Bubba Gump.

Past years were always difficult for me. When I was still dancing, Turkey Day came a week before our Nutcracker and I was always already in full performance mode - (read: not sleeping, nervous and definitely NOT hungry -- I had to be in front of 2,500 people in pink tights!!). So, my "I've been waiting all year for this" meal turned into a little tasting of each thing, except the cranberry salad, and maybe, if I portioned it just right, a small slice of pie. Sigh.

Those days are long over, so now I look forward to that feastful Thursday with salivous and satious glee (I know, I'm so excited I'm making words up). I've already been warming up. This October I had pumpkin cheesecake candy, pumpkin coffee (with pumpkin pie flavored cream) and pumpkin muffins. I have a pint of pumpkin ice cream in the freezer too.

I am enjoying this inceasingly brief season (yes, even the Bears) for all it's worth. The bone-chilling wind, cold and snow is just around the corner. A local radio station already started playing it's All Day/Every Day Christmas Song Marathon. I sang along to "Let it Snow" on my way to work today. Not right, but "'Tis the season"...

No comments: